As we discussed here, Zion Williamson has become a major disruptive force in the NBA. He did it again vs. Cleveland Sunday night, lighting the Cavs up for 38 while shooting 16-22 and 6-9 from the line. Fellow Brotherhood member Brandon Ingram had 27 as well.
Williamson shot just under 73 percent in this game which would be one thing if it were once a month. He’s doing this kind of thing all the time. No one right now can stop him and even if they can slow his scoring he’s slipping the ball to other guys.
At Duke, he liked to say that it was RJ Barrett’s team which we thought showed great insight. No one is close to Williamson athletically but Barrett’s personality pushes him to center stage. Williamson recognized that, let him have it and was fine with it.
In his first season with the Knicks, Barrett took a lot of heat, mostly over his shooting, and in the beginning of his second he took more. Not so much lately.
A few games ago someone – we can’t remember who – said that his team wanted Barrett to take the final shot: “that’s exactly who we wanted.”
Be careful what you wish for.
The other night Barrett hit a clutch shot to force overtime against Memphis and on Sunday, he hit another clutch shot to put New York up 98-94 over Gary Trent and the Toronto Raptors with 34.8 to go.
Barrett shot 5-12 and finished with 19 points and five assists and is starting to emerge as a team leader.
For his part, Trent finished with 23 points.
And in Boston, Jayson Tatum finished with 28 points against Denver. Solid night for the Brotherhood.
- Knicks’ RJ Barrett has made big improvement at free-throw line
- Inside the off-season makeover that transformed RJ Barrett’s sh ot
- Knicks close out Raptors in wild game after water delay
- Recap: RJ Barrett Provides More Crunch Time Heroics as Knicks Survive Raptors
- Knicks’ RJ Barrett continues to prove himself: ‘He’s 20 years old and he’s only going to get better’
- Knicks 133, Grizzlies 129 (OT): Scenes from RJ Barrett, top 25 under 25 in our hearts
- Jerry Ferrara LOVES RJ Barrett
- RJ Barrett: New York Knicks’ rising star is on a tear and isn’t showing any signs of slowing down
- Pelicans’ Zion Williamson: Another 30-plus point effort
- Pelicans Reactions: Zion Williamson powers Pelicans pas Cavaliers
- Toronto Raptors: What would a new Gary Trent Jr. contract look like right now?
- Gary Trent Jr. drops historic 44-point game on 17-of-19 shooting after Raptors give him green light on offense
- Raptors’ Gary Trent Jr. scores 44, misses just two shots in win against Cavs
- Gary Trent Jr.: Three stats to know behind the Toronto Raptors guard’s career-high 44 points
- Gary Trent Jr. comes out with heartwarming admission on Raptors trade
- Jayson Tatum, Celtics stun the Nuggets, use game-deciding run to dominate in 105-87 win
- Jayson Tatum Calls Jaylen Brown ‘Unselfish’ For Gifting Him Two Points
- Jayson Tatum Became The Youngest Boston Celtics Player To Drop 50 Points Last Night, Beating Out Larry Bird
- Celtics Legend Compares Story of Jayson Tatum to Michael Jordan