This Sour Cream Chicken is made with a sour cream sauce smothered over chicken breasts, topped with Parmesan cheese and baked in the oven!. It’s an incredibly easy weeknight recipe ready for the oven in less than 5 minutes!
I am late to the party for so many things. Recently, I’ve discovered Game of Thrones and I am officially hooked and incapable of doing much else until I finish one more episode of Season 1 and finish all of Season 2. I even went so far as to bring my iPad to the gym today and watched an episode while I ran on the treadmill.
But I do not eat mayo, so I made mine with sour cream and added fresh herbs, garlic, and lemon zest. I have made this chicken so many times in the last few months.
It is ridiculously easy, and while not the most attractive recipe that I make, it tastes amazing. Everyone at my table loves this chicken recipe and it is a keeper.
The ingredients for this baked chicken recipe include boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sour cream, garlic, lemon zest, Borsari salt, chives, parsley, panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
Sour Cream. Full-fat sour cream works best for a creamy consistency. Plus, low-fat sour cream includes added sugar and preservatives we don’t really need in our diet.
Borsari Salt. Bosari’s Original Seasoning is the secret ingredient that makes this chicken casserole so special. Bosari’s is pure sea salt infused with fresh basil, rosemary, garlic, black pepper and nutmeg. It’s incredibly versatile and I love it in this simple chicken dish.
Look for Bosari Salt in the spice aisle of your local supermarket or purchase it online. If you don’t have Bosari salt, simply use salt and pepper as noted in the recipe card. A few pinches of dried herbs or grates of fresh nutmeg never hurt either!
How To Make // The Steps
This sour cream chicken comes together in a few easy steps. It takes 5 minutes to prep the marinade, then the oven does the rest. A chicken dinner ready in 30 minutes!
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Mix together sour cream, garlic, lemon zest, salt, pepper, chives, and parsley in a small bowl.
- Mix the panko crumbs into the sour cream mixture.
- Spread the sour cream over the top of the chicken breasts.
- Cover with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through, and the cheese is golden brown.
Why This Smothered Cheesy Sour Cream Chicken Is So Good?
- Full-fat sour cream not only tastes better, but it keeps the chicken super moist.
- Bosari salt adds balanced flavor and cuts down on the ingredients list for an incredibly tasty meal!
- Parmesan cheese creates a cheesy, crunchy, golden-brown crust!
- If you’re not a fan of sour cream, sub in an equal amount of mayo or Greek yogurt.
- The seasoning is completely versatile. I love using Bosari seasoning salt since all the flavorings are included, but if not in your pantry, simply add 1-2 teaspoons of any dried herb of your choosing such as basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano or Italian seasoning.
- Replace the panko breadcrumbs with an equal amount of crushed Ritz crackers for a salty, buttery crunch.
This simple chicken dish requires nothing more than a side of veggies or a simple salad.
I also love pairing it with baked potatoes with garlic herb sour cream (double the sour cream!), mashed potatoes, rice, pasta or egg noodles for those weekdays when I feel like having more carbs – especially after long runs on the treadmill!
More Chicken Recipes //
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili with Blue Cheese Sour Cream
- Oven-Fried Chicken
- Chicken with Boursin Mushroom Sauce
- Baked Balsamic Chicken
- Honey Garlic Balsamic Chicken
- Green Chile Rice and Chicken Skillet Dinner
- Sheet Pan BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
Originally published in February 2013, updated April 2020 with updated images and updated recipe card.